Saturday, June 2, 2012

My first 'linky' party!

So what are you hoping to read this summer? My list looks a lot like other upper grade teachers...

Daily 5 and CAFE


The Daily FiveThe CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction



I read both of these books over the school year, but I would like to try and get some new ideas about implementing the format in 6th grade...speaking of... I just read about a book club starting up in July over at Runde's Room  (go on over and check out her amazing blog).  There has been a blog set up which will host the book club come July 1...

In addition to reference books ( I LOVE Kagan Cooperative Structures), I'd like to catch up on some young adult literature so that I can be 'in the know' with my students come August...

The List

The List  by Siobhan Vivian (side note, I started reading this yesterday and the language would be way inappropriate for 6th graders...still a good read though)


Matchedand Divergent (Divergent Trilogy)

To help feed my Hunger Games void...

My Life as a BookMy Life as a Stuntboy

A few of my boy readers really got into this series at the end of the year...I'd like to tap into the hype!



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I received this book as a gift from Scholastic Book Clubs, it's received many good reviews thus far!

And Finally...a book that should just be pure enjoyment and not for school pleasure...

The Story of Beautiful Girl






Fun, fun, fun...and my very first official blog entry!



3 comments:

  1. Do you use Daily 5 and Cafe in your classroom? I've only heard about it from blogs/Pinterst/TpT, but don't know any teachers that use it.

    Upper Grades Are Awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for your comment...and for taking the time to read my blog! I, personally, have just been gathering materials, input, and reading sources about Daily 5 and CAFE and have not actually used the structure in my classroom (yet!). It sounds like (if I do implement it next year) it will need to be narrowed down to the 'Targeted Three' with Read to Self, Read with Someone, and Writing (about literature). I'm looking forward to the online book club starting, as it seems to be aimed at upper grade readers. One book that I did read and began implementing the resources right away was ' The Book Whisperer ' - truly an awesome resource for upper grade reading blocks. This book really changed my thinking about reading in sixth-grade and I will continue to use the structures described next school year.

      I hope to hear from you again soon!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Shannon, I will definitely check out The Book Whisperer! I look forward to reading more about your implementation of Daily 5/CAFE this coming school year.

    ReplyDelete